The Companion is a paraprofessional, providing services in the home for clients under the direct supervision of a qualified supervisor. Companion services include support, encouragement, companionship, respite breaks for family or caregivers, and provision of and instruction in reporting of changes in the client’s situation. The Companion is assigned to a client by the coordinator and follows a written plan of service.
- High School graduate with at least 1 year experience as a companion or life working experience
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Access to an automobile with possession of liability insurance
- Must be able to read, write in English and follow instructions
- Must have a criminal background check
- Must have current CPR certification
- Provide respite breaks for family or caregivers
- Provide assistance with reading and writing correspondence and publications
- Observation and feedback to the coordinator/ supervisor on client’s behavior, mood, and adjustment in the home
- Notifies superior of any safety issues
- Being supportive and encouragement during periods of loneliness, depressions, bereavement etc.
- Follows the plan of service for tasks
- Records observations and tasks and signs each entry on the appropriate form for each visit made
- Communicates on a weekly basis or more often as necessary with the supervisor
- Immediately reports emergency situations by phone to supervisor or office
- Keeps an accurate time and mileage report
- Follows assignments and regulations
- Follows specific office orders for each client
- Uses policy manual as guidelines
- Works within the organizational channel of authority and knows the area of responsibility of all other team members
- Wears appropriate clothing and ID badge when at work
Confirming on a weekly basis, the scheduling of visits with the Supervisor, to coordinate necessary visits with other personnel.
Notifying the Agency of absences due to illness, emergency leave, normal vacation periods, or special professional meetings, which will affect agreed service with the Agency.